NOAA-CIRES-DOE 20th Century Reanalysis V3
The 20CRv3 reanalysis uses a data assimilation system and surface pressure observations to generate a four-dimensional global atmospheric dataset of weather spanning 1836 to 2015.
Only surface observations of synoptic pressure is assimilated into the NOAA’s Global Forecast System,sea surface temperature and sea ice distribution are prescribed. Temperature, pressure, winds, moisture, solar radiation and clouds, are estimated from the surface to the top of the atmosphere.
The temporal resolution of the main output is 3 hourly, however the data is also available as daily and monthly means.
The global grid used has a 75 km resolution.
More information is available from the PSL 20 Century reanalysis project and the NERSC data portal. The subdaily and member daily data was downloaded from the NERSC data portal, all the other data from the PSL data portal.
The two portal published the data differently so there are inconsistencies in the way it is stored and named.
20CRV3 at NCI
The data is stored in
Available variables are:
- TMP2m - Temperature at 2 m 3 hourly by member
- HGT500 - Geopotential Height 3 hourly by member
- PRMSL - Pressure at Mean Sea Level 3 hourly by member
- PRATE - Precipitation rate at surface 3 hourly by member
- PRMSL - Pressure at Mean Sea Level daily mean by member
- TMPS - Surface air temperature monthly mean by member
- PRATE - Precipitation rate at surface monthly mean by member
- RH_2m - 3-hourly mean Relative humidity at 2m
- SPFH_2m - 3-hourly mean Specific humidity at 2m
- TMP_2m - 3-hourly mean Temperature at 2m
- UGRD_10m - 3-hourly mean U component of wind at 10m
- VGRD_10m - 3-hourly mean V component of wind at 10m
- ICEC_sfc - 3-hourly mean Sea ice area fraction
- PRES_sfc - 3-hourly mean Surface pressure
- TMP_sfc - 3-hourly mean Surface temperature
- HGT_pres - 3-hourly mean Geopotential Height on pressure Levels
- SPFH_pres - 3-hourly mean Specific humidity on pressure levels
- TMP_pres - 3-hourly mean Temperature on pressure levels
- UGRD_pres - 3-hourly mean U component of wind on pressure levels
- VGRD_pres - 3-hourly mean V component of wind on pressure levels
- SOILW_depth - 3-hourly mean Volumetric soil moisture content
- TSOIL_depth - 3-hourly mean Soil temperature
- prate - daily mean 3-hourly Precipitation Rate at surface
- prmsl - daily mean 3-hourly Pressure at Mean Sea Level
- tmax_2m - daily 3-hourly Maximum Temperature at 2 m
- tmin_2m - daily 3-hourly Minimum Temperature at 2 m
- apcp - daily mean 3-hourly accumulated convective precipitation at surface
- hgt - daily mean 3-hourly Geopotential Height on Pressure Levels
- uwind - daily mean 3-hourly U-wind on Pressure Levels
- vwind - daily mean 3-hourly V-wind on Pressure Levels
/g/data/ua8/LE_models/20CRv3/derived. contains some fields derived by Zak Bailie.
- HGT500 - daily mean derived from HGT500 sub-daily data
- TxTn - daily maximum of 2m air temperature, derived from TMP2m sub-daily data
Ackowledgement and references
Papers using the Twentieth Century Reanalysis Project datasets from the NESRC portal are requested to include the following text in their acknowledgments: "Support for the Twentieth Century Reanalysis Project dataset is provided by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science Biological and Environmental Research (BER) program, by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Climate Program Office, and by the NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory."
From the PSL portal:
"If you acquire 20th Century Reanalysis V3 data products from PSL, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as 20th Century Reanalysis V3 data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSL, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at / in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSL to justify keeping the 20th Century Reanalysis V3 data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!"
If you are using the data provided by Zak Bailie please ackowledge him.
Compo, G.P., J.S. Whitaker, P.D. Sardeshmukh, N. Matsui, R.J. Allan, X. Yin, B.E. Gleason, R.S. Vose, G. Rutledge, P. Bessemoulin, S. Brönnimann, M. Brunet, R.I. Crouthamel, A.N. Grant, P.Y. Groisman, P.D. Jones, M. Kruk, A.C. Kruger, G.J. Marshall, M. Maugeri, H.Y. Mok, Ø. Nordli, T.F. Ross, R.M. Trigo, X.L. Wang, S.D. Woodruff, and S.J. Worley, 2011: The Twentieth Century Reanalysis Project. Quarterly J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc., 137, 1-28. DOI: 10.1002/qj.776.
Slivinski, L.C., G. P. Compo, J. S. Whitaker, P. D. Sardeshmukh, B. S. Giese, C. McColl, R. Allan, X. Yin, R. Vose, H. Titchner, J. Kennedy, L. J. Spencer, L. Ashcroft, S. Brönnimann, M. Brunet, D. Camuffo, R. Cornes, T. A. Cram, R. Crouthamel, F. Domínguez-Castro, J. E. Freeman, J. Gergis, E. Hawkins, P. D. Jones, S. Jourdain, A. Kaplan, H. Kubota, F. Le Blancq, T.-C. Lee, A. Lorrey, J. Luterbacher, M. Maugeri, C. J. Mock, G.W. K. Moore, R. Przybylak, C. Pudmenzky, C. Reason, V. C. Slonosky, C. A. Smith, B. Tinz, B. Trewin, M. A. Valente, X. L. Wang, C. Wilkinson, K. Wood, and P. Wyszyński, 2019: Towards a more reliable historical reanalysis: Improvements for version 3 of the Twentieth Century Reanalysis system. Quarterly J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc., in press. DOI: 10.1002/qj.3598.