ACCESS-ESM 1.5

Revision as of 23:33, 27 August 2018 by Hwolff (talk | contribs) (Imported from Wikispaces)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Temporary page while I'm getting familiar with ACCESS-ESM 1.5.

Will be converted into a documentation later on.

Getting ACCESS-ESM1.5

There is some documentation on google drive, CMS > Coupled Models

git clone git@bitbucket.org:climate-cms/csiro-scripts.git
cd csiro-scripts/original/build
make

Turns out I needed access to the CABLE repo, see https://trac.nci.org.au/trac/cable/wiki/CableRegistration

Other than that, compile worked fine.

Running first test

copy the scripts PI-C2C-1p5r29*}} from the {{original directory to a new experiment directory.

Rename the scripts with

rename PI-C2C-1p5r29 test1 PI-C2C-1p5r29*

Make sure that the correct project is set in test1:

#PBS -P w35

Change initial date and final date in test1.init:

#-- Initial and Final Date of the Experiment
iniyear=1;      finalyear=1;            typeset -Z4 iniyear  finalyear
inimonth=1;     finalmonth=1;           typeset -Z2 inimonth finalmonth
iniday=1;       finalday=5;             typeset -Z2 iniday   finalday

Then run

qsub test1

Link the build directory to the experiment directory.

Issues

The RUNID}} of Template:PI-C2C-1p5r29 was hardcoded in the script. I removed that hardcoded line and left the {{export RUNID=`basename $PBS_O_WORKDIR` in because the experiment directory has the same name as the scripts.

It didn't find the build directory in the experiment directory. I linked the build directory there.

The model failed asking for a restart dump that didn't exist. Deleting the test1.date file solved that.

Didn't find create_rankfile.py}} -- copied from Template:Original directory. (Had to delete {{test1.date again.)

I also pre-emptively linked the runscripts}} directory from {{original to my experiment directory.

How ACCESS works

<RUNID>

The actual sumit script does not have an extension, and is a ksh script. It sets a whole lot of environment variables, most of them exported.

It then sources, if present, runscripts/umprofile}} which also sets some variables, however, many of these variables don't seem to refer to a path that exists on {{raijin. Then, again, if present, runs runscripts/setglobalvars, again, the contents of which seem to be outdated.

It sets a few more variables, then sources <RUNID>.init.

Many more variable declarations, then it sources UMScr_Toplevel.

Finally, it sources <RUNID>.fin

<RUNID>.init

This script is *sourced* by <RUNID>, so it's still a ksh script. It begins with a function declaration, which sets certain ancillary files depending on the year.

Then come many more variables, including:

Then it looks for <RUNID>.date:

If it doesn't exist, then it assumes that it's a new run. It creates the file and dumps the initial dates in there. If the file does exist, it reads the date out of it (only last line).

It then uses ~access/bin/calendar_more to calculate the times for this run (initial date, end date, first date of next run, et cetera).

From this, it gets, amongst other things, the days_in_run}}, which it then multiplies by 86,400 (secs per day) to get {{runtime.

Next, the script creates it work and run directories, copying files there as needed. (Apparently, for historical runs, it also needs to change the dates in the UM files, changing the reference date from the 16th of the month to the first.) This is also where it uses the function it declared at the beginning.

Finally, it makes several (currently obscure) changes to a lot of namelists, and then creates the ACCESSRUNCMD.

And it loads new modules, replacing others if they had been loaded before.

<RUNID>.fin

Check whether variable FCODE is 0 (presumably the return code of the Model run?), only then will it do anything.

It calculates the name of the restart file restartfile="aiihca.da${umdate}"}} where Template:Umdate has been created by Template:Datetoum or {{datetoum2.

Next, it moves what I think are the coupling restart files, ${cplrundir}/?2?.nc}} to the archive {{${archivedir}/restart/cpl/$resfile-${enddate}

Then, it accesses $atmrundir}}: Validates the date of the restart file, moves it to {{${archivedir}/restart/atm/${restartarch}}} ((Template:Restartarch had been set to {{"${RUNID}.astart-${nextdate}").

Next, it moves all UM output files (aiihca.p*) to the archive dir, renaming them in the process.

Modifications

Created a new branch: holger_testing

MOM5 Version Control

MOM5 is under version control: https://github.com/OceansAus/ACCESS-ESM1.5-MOM5.git}} - this was added to the {{Makefile.

ummodel_hg3

ummodel_hg3}} was still copied from {{/short/p66/txz599/ACCESSHOME/submodels/UM/ummodel_hg3/. That directory itself is under version control, but with some non-checked-in.

umbase_hg3

umbase_hg3}} was still copied. But there weren't any interesting changes in the directory compared the the repository. (Only Template:Fcm env.sh and {{parsed_bld.cfg) So I've changed it to point to the svn repo.

bld-hadgem3-mct.cfg

The file bld-hadgem3-mct.cfg}} was missing from the Template:Ummodel hg3 repo. For now, I've made it part of the access-esm repo, and added a line in the {{Makefile to copy it over.