Tips and Tricks
Unstable WRF simulation
If you notice that the WRF model has become unstable, you should consider making the following changes in the namelist.input file:
- reduce the time-step; and/or
- set w_damping to 1; and/or
- set epssm (0.1 by default) to a higher value (e.g. 0.3)
The changes above indeed improved the stabilities in our case.
You can also explore the following ideas:
- reduce the total number of processors
- change the decomposition through nproc_x and nproc_y options
- reduce the level of optimisation via re-compilation
Runtime segmentation error
WRF will always crash with a segmentation error when compiled without debugging information.
But you should make sure, you always run WRF with an unlimited stacksize. This should be set in your run script.
- For TCSH
limit stacksize unlimited
- For BASH
ulimit -s unlimited (for BASH)
If you have some tricks that can help WRF users in our community and hope that they could be included on this page, please email email@example.com.