How to manage storage efficiently
The introduction to NCI training presents the basics of the different filesystems at NCI and the organisation along projects used at NCI. This training provides you with the Centre's expectations on your responsibilities in managing your storage footprint in this shared environment. As well as existing tools to help you with this task.
Skill set #1: Analysing your storage usage
- Differences between the filesystems /home, /short, /g/data, /jobfs, mdss
- Monitoring your usage.
Skill set #2: Tools to help tidy your space
- Pre-requisite: Shell
- Linux commands and other tools existing to find the data and tidy the data.
Skill set #1:
- Review of the filesystems and their characteristics: Storage
- Accounting commands:
- nci_account -P/-G
- short_files_report -P/-G
- gdataX_files_report -P/-G
Skill set #2
- nccompress: https://github.com/aidanheerdegen/nccompress nccompress documentation
- tar https://docs.google.com/document/d/1do9dtyzTQ5VY3yFC6YEj-fhAW7OnkA5jFzol1vjRu4w/edit?usp=sharing TAR cheat sheet
- chmod / chgrp