While you can write code with a simple text editor, there are many tools that make programming far easier, faster, and more reliable.
Version control is used to keep a history of how your code changed during its development. Only the shortest of programs can be written in a single session focussed on the program itself.
If the program gets only a little bit more complex,
- Text: Git Tutorial
- Text: Git Novice on Software Carpentry
- Video: Various, e.g. Learn Git in 1 Hour
- LinkedIn Learning*: Git Essentials Training
- Text: [https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials Atlassian (several)
- LinkedIn Learning*: Git Intermediate Techniques
*LinkedIn Learning is a paid service, but some Universities offer access to their courses to their employees and students for free. Try to 'log in with your institution'
Integrated Development Environments (IDE)
Visual Studio Code