How to run ACCESS AMIP runs with CABLE2.X
The standard run saaqb (accesscollab) or vabha (accessdev) are configured to run with CABLE1.8. If you want to use a newer version, CABLE2.X, the set-up changes. vacfa (owned by rzl561) is an example for a run using CABLE2.X. The main difference is that CABLE is included as a library and you need to make sure the correct cable library and namelist file is in your /short/$PROJECT/$USER/UM_ROUTDIR/$RUNID directory.
- Set up your environment as described on UM Environment page
- set up $CABLE-AUX, e.g. pointing to you $HOME or wherever your CABLE-AUX directory is (if you do not know what CABLE-AUX is have a look into the | CABLE user guide)
- make sure to have the correct cable.nml namelist in CABLE-AUX/UM. This is copied automatically as long as you do not change this behaviour in cable_start.sh
- the default cable_start.sh in CABLE-AUX/UM copies cable.nml to /short/...../$RUNID and libcable to the same place (called at start of cable). The default version does not necessarily work for you because of hardwired project to d66 etc. So you have to change it. The cable library needs to be called "libcable-2.0.a" (hardwired in override file). You also need to have cable.nml in /short/...../RUNID as well as /short/...../RUNID/bin, create a simlink using cable_start.sh from bin to folder up.
Other useful hints (apply also for running with CABLE1.8)
Running for longer than 2001
Some of the default emission ancillaries end in 2001. For runs until after 2001 we need to use the CMIP5 projections for the more recent period. For RCP4.5 and RCP8.5 they area available as concatenated files in the normal directory (/projects/access/data/ancil/CMIP5/).
ACCESS output filenames and decades
Filenames: RUNIDa.p?d7mon ?: is output stream, normally “a” for monthly files, “e” for daily files d: letter for decade, see below 7: number for year mon: three letters for month
The automatic postprocessing translates this into more useful filenames, see Archiving+Output
The restart files have very similar names except for “da” instead of “p?” e.g.: RUNIDa.dad7110 d: letter for decade, see below 7: number for year 110: time, restart files are written every month, 110 corresponds to beginning of year
Decades: a 1900 b 10 c 20 d 30 e 40 f 50 g 60 h 70 i 80 j 90 k 2000 l 10 m 20 n 30 o 40 p 50 q 60 r 70 s 80 t 90 u 2100
Error message Bi_linear_h Error code: 10
This error can have different causes and is difficult to resolve. Causes can be:
- confusion over the setup
- bad initial data
- errors in code/modeling
This error in you output file and “RHS zero so GCR( 2 ) not needed”
is always a bad sign. Often it means that the model has had a floating point exception and generated a NaN somewhere. It crashes soon afterwards in bi_linear_h because the winds are crazy.
What you can do (e-mails from Martin Dix):
- To get more information: UMUI panel Scientific Parameters and Sections -> 13. Diffusion -> Diag prints-> print output on all processors
do this for every time step, especially if the crash happens in 1st or 2nd time step
- Add print statements into the code, in particular if you made changes to CABLE and need to know which variables cause the problem
- Use totalview to debug, especially second section here Totalview debugging is particular about UM
Ask CMS team or um_help for help if you cannot resolve it!