CLEX Roadmap is a web based tool we provide to help creating, storing and sharing data management plans (DMPs). The original Roadmap has been developed by the Digital Curation Centre and the University of California Curation Center (UC3). Our version has also been adapted to manage allocation of temporary storage in /g/data/hh5/tmp at NCI (see storage page).
Anyone who is associated to CLEX can have an account, however we do use a valid email list to check that you are authorised. If your email is not in th elist you will receive a warning and we will receive a notification, we will then add your email asap.
When you log in to DMPRoadmap you will be directed to the 'My Dashboard' page, shown above. From here you can edit, share, download, copy or remove any of your plans. You will also see plans that have been shared with you by others.
On the navigation tab at the top of the page you can also select to create a new plan, apply for storage or view all your storage allocations.
The CLEX Roadmap_user_guide shows in more detail, how to create an account, submit a storage request and create a new plan. Here, we provide just an overview.
We provide a 'CLEX template' to create the plans, this template includes three separate phases. The phases reflect the different potential uses of a DMP, as we illustrated in the data management plan page.
- Basic DMP - is a complete DMP in itself. It can be used as an attachment to a grant application
- Provenance - is a set of questions that helps you putting together your data provenance, producing more detailed metadata and keeping track of your data workflow
- Publishing DMP - is used to collect details of a completed dataset to help with its publication. The answers to this questions will be exported to create metadata records for the repositories we use to publish. They will also be used to annotate the dataset NetCDF files. This is why some of these require specific formats.
More information on how to create and manage a plan is also available in the Roadmap_plans page.
Create a plan
To create a plan, click the 'Create plan' button from the 'My Dashboard' page or the top menu. Select options from the menus and tickboxes to determine what questions and guidance you should be presented with. Confirm your selection by clicking 'Create plan.'
You will now have access to the 'write plan' interface. Currently we only one one available template "CLEX template" so thsi will always be the same.
The tabbed interface allows you to navigate through different functions when editing your plan.
- 'Project Details' includes basic administrative details.
- 'Plan Overview' tells you what template and guidance your plan is based on and gives you an overview to the questions that you will be asked.
- Collaborators - you can use this add collaborators to your plan, defining their role. Differently from when you share a plan (see below), they do not need to have an account to be listed.
- The following tabs present each a set of questions for each of our three phases: 'Basic DMP', 'Provenance' and 'Publishing DMP"
- 'Share' allows you to invite others to read or contribute to your plan.
- 'Download' allows you to download your plan in various formats. This may be useful if you need to submit your plan as part of a grant application.
When viewing any of the question tabs, you will see the different sections of your plan displayed. Click into these in turn to answer the questions. You can format your responses using the text editing buttons.
Guidance is displayed in the right-hand panel. Not all the available guidance shows by default you can show/hide the available guidances by clicking on their headers.
Insert the email address of any collaborators you would like to invite to read or edit your plan. Set the level of permissions you would like to grant them via the radio buttons and click to 'Add collaborator.' Adjust permissions or remove collaborators at any time via the drop-down options.
The ‘Share’ tab is also where you can set your plan visibility.
- Private: restricted to you and your collaborators.
- Organisational: anyone at your organisation can view your plan.
- Public: anyone can view your plan in the Public DMPs list.
By default all new and test plans will be set to ‘Private’ visibility. ‘Public’ and ‘Organisational’ visibility are intended for finished plans. You must answer at least 50% of the questions to enable these options.
NB. to share with a collaborator they also need to have an account, you then share with the email they use for it.